You can help protect yourself against fraud by following these tips:
- Monitor your accounts and monthly statements to ensure their accuracy.
- Never put outgoing mail that may contain checks or tax documents in your mailbox at home.
- Every year, order copies of your credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus to verify their accuracy.
- Keep a checklist of the critical items stored in your wallet, purse, laptop and/or smartphone.
- Thoroughly shred documents containing any personal information before disposing of them.
- Only order from Internet sites that use secure methods of obtaining personal account or credit card information.
- Never write your Personal Identification Number (PIN) on your ATM/Debit card. Never write your Social Security Number or credit card number on a check.
- Always log off after an online banking session.
- Remove passwords, PIN numbers and identification cards containing your social security number from your purse or wallet.
If you suspect your identity has been stolen:
- Immediately file a report with your local police.
- Call the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-ID-Theft.
- Contact the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your record.
- Maintain a log of each contact with authorities.
Identity Theft Tips
Identity Theft continues to be among the nation's fastest-growing types of fraud, impacting millions of people each year. Legacy Mutual Mortgage is committed to helping our customers protect their personal information with these tips:
- Don't carry your Social Security number, memorize it and keep the card at home.
Begin receiving electronic statements and bills. If you do receive them by mail, watch for their timely arrival.
- Mail your bills inside the post office rather than using a mailbox near the street.
- Don't share your account numbers over the phone or anywhere others can hear you.
- Keep your eye on your credit card at all times while making purchases.
- Keep track of all credit card receipts and shred any you do not need.
- Shred any unneeded documents that contain bar codes, account numbers or other sensitive data.